West Virginia Overview

Population Demographics

  • West Virginia has a population of 1,852,994 and is the 38th most populous state.
  • The state's residents are 54.2% married and 45.8% single.
  • 81.9% of the population graduated high school or have a GED. 16.0% have college degrees.
  • Men make up 49.3% of the population and women make up 50.7%.
  • 1.3% of the state's population was not born in the United States. The other 98.7% was born in the United States.
  • The top three races (in population) are: White [93.9%], Black or African American [3.4%] and Two or more races [1.5%].

» More about the West Virginia Population including race, age and gender data.

Economy

  • The median worker income in West Virginia is $24,807.
  • The West Virginia poverty rate of 15.7% is higher than the national average.
  • At the time of the last census, the West Virginia unemployment rate was 7.1%.
  • The break down for commute times in West Virginia is: 61.3% under 25 mins, 22.3% 25-45 mins, and 16.4% above 45 minutes.
  • Typically, people work 39/hrs per week in West Virginia.

» More about the West Virginia economy including unemployment and income trends.

Location

The map below shows West Virginia. Click the link in the marker bubble to get driving directions. The 'View Larger Map' link will open a full size map in a new window.

Largest Cities in America

New York, NY

Population: 8,175,133

Avg. Income: $33,260

Los Angeles, CA

Population: 3,792,621

Avg. Income: $25,922

Chicago, IL

Population: 2,695,598

Avg. Income: $29,913

Houston, TX

Population: 2,099,451

Avg. Income: $25,358

Philadelphia, PA

Population: 1,526,006

Avg. Income: $27,856