Washington Overview

Population Demographics

  • The top three races (in population) are: White [77.3%], Hispanic [11.2%] and Asian [7.2%].
  • The population of Washington is 6,724,540, making it the 13th most populated state.
  • The state's residents are 53.8% married and 46.2% single.
  • 12.7% of the state's population was not born in the United States. The other 87.3% was born in the United States.
  • The state's population is 29.0% college educated and 89.6% have a high school diploma or a GED.
  • Men make up 49.8% of the population and women make up 50.2%.

» More about the Washington Population including race, age and gender data.

Economy

  • Typical commute times differ throughout the state. However, overall 58.1% of works commute under 25 mins daily, 26.5% commute 25-45 mins, and 15.5% have a commute greater than 45 minutes.
  • The median worker income in Washington is $31,880.
  • The Washington poverty rate of 11.1% is lower than the national average.
  • Typically, people work 38/hrs per week in Washington.
  • At the time of the last census, the Washington unemployment rate was 7.6%.

» More about the Washington economy including unemployment and income trends.

Location

The map below shows Washington. Click the link in the marker bubble to get driving directions. The 'View Larger Map' link will open a full size map in a new window.

Largest Cities in America

New York, NY

Population: 8,175,133

Avg. Income: $33,260

Los Angeles, CA

Population: 3,792,621

Avg. Income: $25,922

Chicago, IL

Population: 2,695,598

Avg. Income: $29,913

Houston, TX

Population: 2,099,451

Avg. Income: $25,358

Philadelphia, PA

Population: 1,526,006

Avg. Income: $27,856