Population Demographics

  • 19.5% of the city's population was not born in the United States. The other 80.5% was born in the United States.
  • The population of Austin, TX is 790,390.
  • The city's residents are 50.6% men and 49.4% females.
  • 85.1% of the population graduated high school or have a GED. 41.0% have college degrees.
  • The races making up the largest parts of the population are: White [68.3%], Hispanic [35.1%] and Black or African American [8.1%].
  • The city's residents are 43.5% married and 56.5% single.

» More about the Austin Population including race, age and gender data.

Economy

  • Of workers, 64.9% commute under 25 mins, 25.9% travel 25-45 mins, and 9.2% have a commute time of over 45 mins.
  • At the time of the last census, the Austin, TX unemployment rate was 6.5%.
  • The Austin, TX poverty rate of 16.6% is higher than the national average.
  • In Austin, TX, the median worker income is $28,908. This is lower than the national average of $29,701.
  • Austin, TX workers work 39/hrs per week on average.

» More about the Austin economy including unemployment and income trends.

Homes

  • Homes have 5 rooms on average.
  • The median age of homes in Austin, TX is 34 years.
  • For homes with mortgages, owner costs average $1,655/mo.
  • 49.6% of the homes are rentals and 42.0% are occupied by their owners.

» More about the Austin homes including median rent and ownership costs.

Location

The map below shows Austin, TX. Click the link in the marker bubble to get driving directions. The 'View Larger Map' link will open a full size map in a new window.

Zip Codes

78610   78613   78617   78641   78652   78653   78660   78664   78681   78701   78702   78703   78704   78705   78712   78717   78719   78721   78722   78723   78724   78725   78726   78727   78728   78729   78730   78731   78732   78733   78734   78735   78736   78737   78738   78739   78741   78742   78744   78745   78746   78747   78748   78749   78750   78751   78752   78753   78754   78756   78757   78758   78759  

Largest Cities in America

New York, NY

Population: 8,175,133

Avg. Income: $33,260

Los Angeles, CA

Population: 3,792,621

Avg. Income: $25,922

Chicago, IL

Population: 2,695,598

Avg. Income: $29,913

Houston, TX

Population: 2,099,451

Avg. Income: $25,358

Philadelphia, PA

Population: 1,526,006

Avg. Income: $27,856