- 89.3% of the population graduated high school or have a GED. 23.9% have college degrees.
- South Dakota has the 47th largest state population. It has a population of 814,180 people.
- Of the state's population 50.0% are men and 50.0% are females.
- 97.7% of people in South Dakota were born U.S. citizens, while 2.3% were born outside of the country.
- The state's residents are 54.9% married and 45.1% single.
- The races making up the largest parts of the population are: White [85.9%], American Indian and Alaska Native [8.8%] and Hispanic [2.7%].
- The median worker income in South Dakota is $25,508.
- The average worker works 40 hours a week in South Dakota.
- Typical commute times differ throughout the state. However, overall 81.0% of works commute under 25 mins daily, 13.1% commute 25-45 mins, and 5.9% have a commute greater than 45 minutes.
- South Dakota has a poverty rate of 12.6%.
- At the time of the last census, the South Dakota unemployment rate was 4.7%.
The map below shows South Dakota. Click the link in the marker bubble to get driving directions. The 'View Larger Map' link will open a full size map in a new window.