South Carolina Overview

Population Demographics

  • The top three races (in population) are: White [66.2%], Black or African American [27.9%] and Hispanic [5.1%].
  • 47.5% of people in South Carolina are single and 52.5% are married.
  • 4.7% of the state's population was not born in the United States. The other 95.3% was born in the United States.
  • Men make up 48.6% of the population and females make up 51.4%.
  • South Carolina has a population of 4,625,364 and is the 24th most populous state.
  • 83.0% of the population graduated high school or have a GED. 22.6% have college degrees.

» More about the South Carolina Population including race, age and gender data.

Economy

  • Of workers, 62.8% commute under 25 mins, 25.5% travel 25-45 mins, and 11.7% have a commute time of over 45 mins.
  • In South Carolina, the median worker income is $26,226. This is lower than the national average of $29,701.
  • The average worker works 39 hours a week in South Carolina.
  • As of the last census, the South Carolina unemployment rate of 9.3% was worse than the 7.9% national average.
  • The poverty rate for South Carolina is 14.4%.

» More about the South Carolina economy including unemployment and income trends.

Location

The map below contains South Carolina. Click the link in the marker bubble to get driving directions. The 'View Larger Map' link will open a full size map in a new window.

Largest Cities in America

New York, NY

Population: 8,175,133

Avg. Income: $33,260

Los Angeles, CA

Population: 3,792,621

Avg. Income: $25,922

Chicago, IL

Population: 2,695,598

Avg. Income: $29,913

Houston, TX

Population: 2,099,451

Avg. Income: $25,358

Philadelphia, PA

Population: 1,526,006

Avg. Income: $27,856