Population Demographics

  • The majority (44.0%) of the New York, NY population is White.
  • The city's population is 30.3% college educated and 79.0% have a high school diploma or a GED.
  • 36.8% of the city's population was not born in the United States. The other 63.2% was born in the United States.
  • New York, NY has a population of 8,175,133.
  • The city's residents are 43.6% married and 56.4% single.
  • Men make up 47.5% of the population and women make up 52.5%.

» More about the New York Population including race, age and gender data.

Economy

  • In New York, NY, the median worker income is $32,841. This is higher than the national average of $29,701.
  • The poverty rate for New York, NY is 16.9%.
  • The New York, NY unemployment rate was 8.8%, as of the last census. This is higher than the national average of 7.9%.
  • The break down for commute times in New York, NY is: 29.4% under 25 mins, 30.5% 25-45 mins, and 40.1% above 45 minutes.
  • Typically, people work 40/hrs per week in New York, NY.

» More about the New York economy including unemployment and income trends.

Homes

  • 30.1% of homes are owner occupied and 61.0% are rented.
  • In New York, NY 1947 is the median year when homes were built.
  • For homes with mortgages, owner costs average $2,442/mo.
  • The typical home has 4 rooms.

» More about the New York homes including median rent and ownership costs.

Location

The map below displays New York, NY. Click the link in the marker bubble to get driving directions. The 'View Larger Map' link will open a full size map in a new window.

Zip Codes

10001   10002   10003   10004   10005   10006   10007   10009   10010   10011   10012   10013   10014   10016   10017   10018   10019   10020   10021   10022   10023   10024   10025   10026   10027   10028   10029   10030   10031   10032   10033   10034   10035   10036   10037   10038   10039   10040   10044   10065   10069   10075   10103   10110   10111   10112   10115   10119   10128   10152   10153   10154   10162   10165   10167   10168   10169   10170   10171   10172   10173   10174   10177   10199   10271   10278   10279   10280   10282   10301   10302   10303   10304   10305   10306   10307   10308   10309   10310   10311   10312   10314   10451   10452   10453   10454   10455   10456   10457   10458   10459   10460   10461   10462   10463   10464   10465   10466   10467   10468   10469   10470   10471   10472   10473   10474   10475   11001   11003   11004   11005   11040   11101   11102   11103   11104   11105   11106   11109   11201   11203   11204   11205   11206   11207   11208   11209   11210   11211   11212   11213   11214   11215   11216   11217   11218   11219   11220   11221   11222   11223   11224   11225   11226   11228   11229   11230   11231   11232   11233   11234   11235   11236   11237   11238   11239   11351   11354   11355   11356   11357   11358   11359   11360   11361   11362   11363   11364   11365   11366   11367   11368   11369   11370   11371   11372   11373   11374   11375   11377   11378   11379   11385   11411   11412   11413   11414   11415   11416   11417   11418   11419   11420   11421   11422   11423   11424   11425   11426   11427   11428   11429   11430   11432   11433   11434   11435   11436   11451   11691   11692   11693   11694   11697  

Largest Cities in America

New York, NY

Population: 8,175,133

Avg. Income: $33,260

Los Angeles, CA

Population: 3,792,621

Avg. Income: $25,922

Chicago, IL

Population: 2,695,598

Avg. Income: $29,913

Houston, TX

Population: 2,099,451

Avg. Income: $25,358

Philadelphia, PA

Population: 1,526,006

Avg. Income: $27,856