Population Demographics

  • The top three races (in population) are: White [65.7%], Hispanic [17.6%] and Black or African American [15.9%].
  • 49.1% of the state's population is married. The other 50.9% are single.
  • Of the state's population 48.4% are males and 51.6% are females.
  • New York has a population of 19,378,102 people. That is the 3rd largest state population
  • 84.4% of the population graduated high school or have a GED. 29.4% have college degrees.
  • 21.7% of the state's population was not born in the United States. The other 78.3% was born in the United States.

» More about the New York Population including race, age and gender data.

Economy

  • In New York, the median worker income is $32,436. This is higher than the national average of $29,701.
  • Typical commute times differ throughout the state. However, overall 47.5% of works commute under 25 mins daily, 26.3% commute 25-45 mins, and 26.2% have a commute greater than 45 minutes.
  • The New York unemployment rate was 7.5%, as of the last census. This is lower than the national average of 7.9%.
  • The New York poverty rate of 12.7% is higher than the national average.
  • The average worker works 39 hours a week in New York.

» More about the New York economy including unemployment and income trends.

Location

The map below displays New York. Click the link in the marker bubble to get driving directions. The 'View Larger Map' link will open a full size map in a new window.

Largest Cities in America

New York, NY

Population: 8,175,133

Avg. Income: $33,260

Los Angeles, CA

Population: 3,792,621

Avg. Income: $25,922

Chicago, IL

Population: 2,695,598

Avg. Income: $29,913

Houston, TX

Population: 2,099,451

Avg. Income: $25,358

Philadelphia, PA

Population: 1,526,006

Avg. Income: $27,856