New Jersey Overview

Population Demographics

  • The state's residents are 52.9% married and 47.1% single.
  • 87.3% of the population graduated high school or have a GED. 32.2% have college degrees.
  • The top three races (in population) are: White [68.6%], Hispanic [17.7%] and Black or African American [13.7%].
  • 20.3% of the state's population was not born in the United States. The other 79.7% was born in the United States.
  • Of the state's population 48.7% are men and 51.3% are women.
  • New Jersey has a population of 8,791,894 and is the 11th most populous state.

» More about the New Jersey Population including race, age and gender data.

Economy

  • The poverty rate for New Jersey is 8.1%.
  • The break down for commute times in New Jersey is: 50.6% under 25 mins, 26.4% 25-45 mins, and 23.1% above 45 minutes.
  • In New Jersey, the median worker income is $38,235. This is higher than the national average of $29,701.
  • New Jersey workers work 39/hrs per week on average.
  • The New Jersey unemployment rate was 7.8%, as of the last census. This is lower than the national average of 7.9%.

» More about the New Jersey economy including unemployment and income trends.

Location

The map below displays New Jersey. Click the link in the marker bubble to get driving directions. The 'View Larger Map' link will open a full size map in a new window.

Largest Cities in America

New York, NY

Population: 8,175,133

Avg. Income: $33,260

Los Angeles, CA

Population: 3,792,621

Avg. Income: $25,922

Chicago, IL

Population: 2,695,598

Avg. Income: $29,913

Houston, TX

Population: 2,099,451

Avg. Income: $25,358

Philadelphia, PA

Population: 1,526,006

Avg. Income: $27,856