Population Demographics

  • The population of Charlotte, NC is 731,424.
  • The majority (50.0%) of the Charlotte, NC population is White.
  • The city's population is 36.7% college educated and 87.4% have a high school diploma or a GED.
  • 14.6% of the city's population was not born in the United States. The other 85.4% was born in the United States.
  • 48.4% of the city's population is married. The other 51.6% are single.
  • Men make up 48.3% of the population and women make up 51.7%.

» More about the Charlotte Population including race, age and gender data.

Economy

  • The poverty rate for Charlotte, NC is 12.3%.
  • The average worker works 40 hours a week in Charlotte, NC.
  • Of workers, 59.1% commute under 25 mins, 30.1% travel 25-45 mins, and 10.8% have a commute time of over 45 mins.
  • The Charlotte, NC unemployment rate was 9.2%, as of the last census. This is higher than the national average of 7.9%.
  • The median worker income in Charlotte, NC is $30,936.

» More about the Charlotte economy including unemployment and income trends.

Homes

  • The typical home has 5 rooms.
  • For homes with mortgages, owner costs average $1,420/mo.
  • Homes are 30 years old on average here.
  • 53.6% of homes are owner occupied and 36.8% are rented.

» More about the Charlotte homes including median rent and ownership costs.

Location

The map below displays Charlotte, NC. Click the link in the marker bubble to get driving directions. The 'View Larger Map' link will open a full size map in a new window.

Zip Codes

28078   28105   28134   28202   28203   28204   28205   28206   28207   28208   28209   28210   28211   28212   28213   28214   28215   28216   28217   28226   28227   28244   28262   28269   28270   28273   28277   28278   28280   28282  

Largest Cities in America

New York, NY

Population: 8,175,133

Avg. Income: $33,260

Los Angeles, CA

Population: 3,792,621

Avg. Income: $25,922

Chicago, IL

Population: 2,695,598

Avg. Income: $29,913

Houston, TX

Population: 2,099,451

Avg. Income: $25,358

Philadelphia, PA

Population: 1,526,006

Avg. Income: $27,856