Mississippi Overview

Population Demographics

  • 49.8% of the state's population is married. The other 50.2% are single.
  • The top three races (in population) are: White [59.1%], Black or African American [37.0%] and Hispanic [2.7%].
  • 79.6% of the population graduated high school or have a GED. 18.2% have college degrees.
  • 2.2% of the state's population was not born in the United States. The other 97.8% was born in the United States.
  • The population of Mississippi is 2,967,297, making it the 32nd most populated state.
  • Of the state's population 48.6% are males and 51.4% are females.

» More about the Mississippi Population including race, age and gender data.

Economy

  • Of workers, 63.3% commute under 25 mins, 24.0% travel 25-45 mins, and 12.7% have a commute time of over 45 mins.
  • The average worker works 40 hours a week in Mississippi.
  • In Mississippi, the median worker income is $24,372. This is lower than the national average of $29,701.
  • At the time of the last census, the Mississippi unemployment rate was 9.6%.
  • Mississippi has a poverty rate of 18.4%.

» More about the Mississippi economy including unemployment and income trends.

Location

The map below shows Mississippi. Click the link in the marker bubble to get driving directions. The 'View Larger Map' link will open a full size map in a new window.

Largest Cities in America

New York, NY

Population: 8,175,133

Avg. Income: $33,260

Los Angeles, CA

Population: 3,792,621

Avg. Income: $25,922

Chicago, IL

Population: 2,695,598

Avg. Income: $29,913

Houston, TX

Population: 2,099,451

Avg. Income: $25,358

Philadelphia, PA

Population: 1,526,006

Avg. Income: $27,856