Minnesota Overview

Population Demographics

  • 54.9% of the state's population is married. The other 45.1% are single.
  • The top three races (in population) are: White [85.3%], Black or African American [5.2%] and Hispanic [4.7%].
  • 91.3% of the population graduated high school or have a GED. 29.4% have college degrees.
  • The population of Minnesota is 5,303,925, making it the 21st most populated state.
  • 7.0% of the state's population was not born in the United States. The other 93.0% was born in the United States.
  • The state's residents are 49.6% men and 50.4% women.

» More about the Minnesota Population including race, age and gender data.

Economy

  • The Minnesota unemployment rate was 6.4%, as of the last census. This is lower than the national average of 7.9%.
  • The poverty rate for Minnesota is 9.7%.
  • Typically, people work 38/hrs per week in Minnesota.
  • The median worker income in Minnesota is $31,502.
  • Of workers, 64.1% commute under 25 mins, 24.9% travel 25-45 mins, and 11.1% have a commute time of over 45 mins.

» More about the Minnesota economy including unemployment and income trends.

Location

The map below displays Minnesota. Click the link in the marker bubble to get driving directions. The 'View Larger Map' link will open a full size map in a new window.

Largest Cities in America

New York, NY

Population: 8,175,133

Avg. Income: $33,260

Los Angeles, CA

Population: 3,792,621

Avg. Income: $25,922

Chicago, IL

Population: 2,695,598

Avg. Income: $29,913

Houston, TX

Population: 2,099,451

Avg. Income: $25,358

Philadelphia, PA

Population: 1,526,006

Avg. Income: $27,856