Population Demographics

  • 88.0% of the population graduated high school or have a GED. 23.4% have college degrees.
  • The population of Michigan is 9,883,640, making it the 8th most populated state.
  • 51.7% of the state's population is married. The other 48.3% are single.
  • The majority (78.9%) of the Michigan population is White.
  • Men make up 49.1% of the population and women make up 50.9%.
  • 94.1% of people in Michigan were born U.S. citizens, while 5.9% were born outside of the country.

» More about the Michigan Population including race, age and gender data.

Economy

  • Michigan has a poverty rate of 13.2%.
  • Typical commute times differ throughout the state. However, overall 61.6% of works commute under 25 mins daily, 25.7% commute 25-45 mins, and 12.8% have a commute greater than 45 minutes.
  • In Michigan, the median worker income is $27,432. This is lower than the national average of $29,701.
  • As of the last census, the Michigan unemployment rate of 11.5% was worse than the 7.9% national average.
  • Michigan workers work 38/hrs per week on average.

» More about the Michigan economy including unemployment and income trends.

Location

The map below contains Michigan. Click the link in the marker bubble to get driving directions. The 'View Larger Map' link will open a full size map in a new window.

Largest Cities in America

New York, NY

Population: 8,175,133

Avg. Income: $33,260

Los Angeles, CA

Population: 3,792,621

Avg. Income: $25,922

Chicago, IL

Population: 2,695,598

Avg. Income: $29,913

Houston, TX

Population: 2,099,451

Avg. Income: $25,358

Philadelphia, PA

Population: 1,526,006

Avg. Income: $27,856