Population Demographics

  • 3.3% of the state's population was not born in the United States. The other 96.7% was born in the United States.
  • The top three races (in population) are: White [95.2%], Two or more races [1.6%] and Hispanic [1.3%].
  • 89.8% of the population graduated high school or have a GED. 24.9% have college degrees.
  • Of the state's population 48.9% are males and 51.1% are women.
  • Maine has a population of 1,328,361 and is the 42nd most populous state.
  • 46.1% of people in Maine are single and 53.9% are married.

» More about the Maine Population including race, age and gender data.

Economy

  • The Maine poverty rate of 11.5% is lower than the national average.
  • Typical commute times differ throughout the state. However, overall 64.6% of works commute under 25 mins daily, 22.9% commute 25-45 mins, and 12.5% have a commute greater than 45 minutes.
  • The Maine unemployment rate was 6.5%, as of the last census. This is lower than the national average of 7.9%.
  • In Maine, the median worker income is $26,676. This is lower than the national average of $29,701.
  • The average worker works 38 hours a week in Maine.

» More about the Maine economy including unemployment and income trends.

Location

The map below displays Maine. Click the link in the marker bubble to get driving directions. The 'View Larger Map' link will open a full size map in a new window.

Largest Cities in America

New York, NY

Population: 8,175,133

Avg. Income: $33,260

Los Angeles, CA

Population: 3,792,621

Avg. Income: $25,922

Chicago, IL

Population: 2,695,598

Avg. Income: $29,913

Houston, TX

Population: 2,099,451

Avg. Income: $25,358

Philadelphia, PA

Population: 1,526,006

Avg. Income: $27,856