Massachusetts Overview

Population Demographics

  • The state's residents are 48.4% males and 51.6% females.
  • Massachusetts has the 14th largest state population. It has a population of 6,547,629 people.
  • 88.7% of the population graduated high school or have a GED. 35.6% have college degrees.
  • 14.5% of the state's population was not born in the United States. The other 85.5% was born in the United States.
  • The top three races (in population) are: White [80.4%], Hispanic [9.6%] and Black or African American [6.6%].
  • 50.1% of the state's population is married. The other 49.9% are single.

» More about the Massachusetts Population including race, age and gender data.

Economy

  • The poverty rate for Massachusetts is 9.9%.
  • Of workers, 53.0% commute under 25 mins, 27.6% travel 25-45 mins, and 19.3% have a commute time of over 45 mins.
  • As of the last census, the Massachusetts unemployment rate of 7.4% was better than the 7.9% national average.
  • Typically, people work 38/hrs per week in Massachusetts.
  • In Massachusetts, the median worker income is $35,703. This is higher than the national average of $29,701.

» More about the Massachusetts economy including unemployment and income trends.

Location

The map below contains Massachusetts. Click the link in the marker bubble to get driving directions. The 'View Larger Map' link will open a full size map in a new window.

Largest Cities in America

New York, NY

Population: 8,175,133

Avg. Income: $33,260

Los Angeles, CA

Population: 3,792,621

Avg. Income: $25,922

Chicago, IL

Population: 2,695,598

Avg. Income: $29,913

Houston, TX

Population: 2,099,451

Avg. Income: $25,358

Philadelphia, PA

Population: 1,526,006

Avg. Income: $27,856