Louisiana Overview

Population Demographics

  • 49.2% of the state's population is married. The other 50.8% are single.
  • The state's residents are 49.0% men and 51.0% women.
  • 3.6% of the state's population was not born in the United States. The other 96.4% was born in the United States.
  • The majority (62.6%) of the Louisiana population is White.
  • Louisiana has a population of 4,533,372 people. That is the 25th largest state population
  • The state's population is 19.4% college educated and 81.0% have a high school diploma or a GED.

» More about the Louisiana Population including race, age and gender data.

Economy

  • The Louisiana unemployment rate was 7.7%, as of the last census. This is lower than the national average of 7.9%.
  • In Louisiana, the median worker income is $26,415. This is lower than the national average of $29,701.
  • Typical commute times differ throughout the state. However, overall 62.3% of works commute under 25 mins daily, 23.3% commute 25-45 mins, and 14.3% have a commute greater than 45 minutes.
  • Louisiana has a poverty rate of 15.7%.
  • Typically, people work 40/hrs per week in Louisiana.

» More about the Louisiana economy including unemployment and income trends.

Location

The map below displays Louisiana. Click the link in the marker bubble to get driving directions. The 'View Larger Map' link will open a full size map in a new window.

Largest Cities in America

New York, NY

Population: 8,175,133

Avg. Income: $33,260

Los Angeles, CA

Population: 3,792,621

Avg. Income: $25,922

Chicago, IL

Population: 2,695,598

Avg. Income: $29,913

Houston, TX

Population: 2,099,451

Avg. Income: $25,358

Philadelphia, PA

Population: 1,526,006

Avg. Income: $27,856