Population Demographics

  • The state's population is 95.6% native born and 4.4% foreign born.
  • The majority (84.3%) of the Indiana population is White.
  • 86.2% of the population graduated high school or have a GED. 21.0% have college degrees.
  • 53.4% of the state's population is married. The other 46.6% are single.
  • Of the state's population 49.2% are males and 50.8% are women.
  • Indiana has a population of 6,483,802 and is the 15th most populous state.

» More about the Indiana Population including race, age and gender data.

Economy

  • At the time of the last census, the Indiana unemployment rate was 8.4%.
  • The median worker income in Indiana is $27,433.
  • The average worker works 39 hours a week in Indiana.
  • Of workers, 64.1% commute under 25 mins, 24.2% travel 25-45 mins, and 11.7% have a commute time of over 45 mins.
  • The poverty rate for Indiana is 11.9%.

» More about the Indiana economy including unemployment and income trends.

Location

The map below shows Indiana. Click the link in the marker bubble to get driving directions. The 'View Larger Map' link will open a full size map in a new window.

Largest Cities in America

New York, NY

Population: 8,175,133

Avg. Income: $33,260

Los Angeles, CA

Population: 3,792,621

Avg. Income: $25,922

Chicago, IL

Population: 2,695,598

Avg. Income: $29,913

Houston, TX

Population: 2,099,451

Avg. Income: $25,358

Philadelphia, PA

Population: 1,526,006

Avg. Income: $27,856