Population Demographics

  • 51.3% of the state's population is married. The other 48.7% are single.
  • Illinois has the 5th largest state population. It has a population of 12,830,632 people.
  • Men make up 49.0% of the population and women make up 51.0%.
  • The races making up the largest parts of the population are: White [71.5%], Hispanic [15.8%] and Black or African American [14.5%].
  • The state's population is 86.4% native born and 13.6% foreign born.
  • 86.2% of the population graduated high school or have a GED. 28.2% have college degrees.

» More about the Illinois Population including race, age and gender data.

Economy

  • The Illinois poverty rate of 11.1% is lower than the national average.
  • In Illinois, the median worker income is $31,179. This is higher than the national average of $29,701.
  • Illinois workers work 39/hrs per week on average.
  • The break down for commute times in Illinois is: 51.9% under 25 mins, 27.0% 25-45 mins, and 21.1% above 45 minutes.
  • The Illinois unemployment rate was 8.6%, as of the last census. This is higher than the national average of 7.9%.

» More about the Illinois economy including unemployment and income trends.

Location

The map below displays Illinois. Click the link in the marker bubble to get driving directions. The 'View Larger Map' link will open a full size map in a new window.

Largest Cities in America

New York, NY

Population: 8,175,133

Avg. Income: $33,260

Los Angeles, CA

Population: 3,792,621

Avg. Income: $25,922

Chicago, IL

Population: 2,695,598

Avg. Income: $29,913

Houston, TX

Population: 2,099,451

Avg. Income: $25,358

Philadelphia, PA

Population: 1,526,006

Avg. Income: $27,856