Mount Vernon, IA

Population Demographics

  • The majority (95.0%) of the Mount Vernon, IA population is White.
  • 98.7% of people in Mount Vernon, IA were born U.S. citizens, while 1.3% were born outside of the country.
  • 38.5% of the city's population is married. The other 61.5% are single.
  • Of the city's population 48.5% are men and 51.5% are females.
  • The population of Mount Vernon, IA is 4,506.
  • 98.8% of the population graduated high school or have a GED. 42.5% have college degrees.

» More about the Mount Vernon Population including race, age and gender data.

Economy

  • In Mount Vernon, IA, the median worker income is $11,373. This is lower than the national average of $29,701.
  • The Mount Vernon, IA unemployment rate was 1.4%, as of the last census. This is lower than the national average of 7.9%.
  • The break down for commute times in Mount Vernon, IA is: 71.9% under 25 mins, 26.0% 25-45 mins, and 2.1% above 45 minutes.
  • The average worker works 31 hours a week in Mount Vernon, IA.
  • The Mount Vernon, IA poverty rate of 9.0% is lower than the national average.

» More about the Mount Vernon economy including unemployment and income trends.

Homes

  • 24.4% of the homes are rentals and 72.4% are occupied by their owners.
  • The typical home has 6 rooms.
  • $1,438 a month is the typical owner cost for a home with a mortgage.
  • The median age of homes in Mount Vernon, IA is 38 years.

» More about the Mount Vernon homes including median rent and ownership costs.

Location

The map below displays Mount Vernon, IA. Click the link in the marker bubble to get driving directions. The 'View Larger Map' link will open a full size map in a new window.

Zip Codes

52314  

Largest Cities in America

New York, NY

Population: 8,175,133

Avg. Income: $33,260

Los Angeles, CA

Population: 3,792,621

Avg. Income: $25,922

Chicago, IL

Population: 2,695,598

Avg. Income: $29,913

Houston, TX

Population: 2,099,451

Avg. Income: $25,358

Philadelphia, PA

Population: 1,526,006

Avg. Income: $27,856