Population Demographics

  • The state's population is 20.3% college educated and 81.4% have a high school diploma or a GED.
  • 52.9% of the state's population is married. The other 47.1% are single.
  • The population of Alabama is 4,779,736, making it the 23rd most populated state.
  • The state's population is 96.6% native born and 3.4% foreign born.
  • The races making up the largest parts of the population are: White [68.5%], Black or African American [26.2%] and Hispanic [3.9%].
  • The state's residents are 48.5% males and 51.5% women.

» More about the Alabama Population including race, age and gender data.

Economy

  • Of workers, 61.3% commute under 25 mins, 25.8% travel 25-45 mins, and 12.9% have a commute time of over 45 mins.
  • At the time of the last census, the Alabama unemployment rate was 8.7%.
  • Alabama has a poverty rate of 15.1%.
  • The average worker works 39 hours a week in Alabama.
  • In Alabama, the median worker income is $25,994. This is lower than the national average of $29,701.

» More about the Alabama economy including unemployment and income trends.

Location

The map below shows Alabama. Click the link in the marker bubble to get driving directions. The 'View Larger Map' link will open a full size map in a new window.

Largest Cities in America

New York, NY

Population: 8,175,133

Avg. Income: $33,260

Los Angeles, CA

Population: 3,792,621

Avg. Income: $25,922

Chicago, IL

Population: 2,695,598

Avg. Income: $29,913

Houston, TX

Population: 2,099,451

Avg. Income: $25,358

Philadelphia, PA

Population: 1,526,006

Avg. Income: $27,856