Population Demographics

  • The population of Alaska is 710,231, making it the 48th most populated state.
  • 92.8% of people in Alaska were born U.S. citizens, while 7.2% were born outside of the country.
  • The state's residents are 52.0% males and 48.0% women.
  • 53.1% of the state's population is married. The other 46.9% are single.
  • The state's population is 25.3% college educated and 90.7% have a high school diploma or a GED.
  • The top three races (in population) are: White [66.7%], American Indian and Alaska Native [14.8%] and Two or more races [7.3%].

» More about the Alaska Population including race, age and gender data.

Economy

  • Alaska workers work 42/hrs per week on average.
  • Typical commute times differ throughout the state. However, overall 78.2% of works commute under 25 mins daily, 14.2% commute 25-45 mins, and 7.5% have a commute greater than 45 minutes.
  • At the time of the last census, the Alaska unemployment rate was 8.6%.
  • The median worker income in Alaska is $32,389.
  • The poverty rate for Alaska is 8.5%.

» More about the Alaska economy including unemployment and income trends.

Location

The map below shows Alaska. Click the link in the marker bubble to get driving directions. The 'View Larger Map' link will open a full size map in a new window.

Largest Cities in America

New York, NY

Population: 8,175,133

Avg. Income: $33,260

Los Angeles, CA

Population: 3,792,621

Avg. Income: $25,922

Chicago, IL

Population: 2,695,598

Avg. Income: $29,913

Houston, TX

Population: 2,099,451

Avg. Income: $25,358

Philadelphia, PA

Population: 1,526,006

Avg. Income: $27,856